Monday, February 24, 2014

Johnny Cash At San Quentin


Apologies for the lack of entries but I'm back up and running. Just because I haven't been posting doesn't mean I haven't been listening. So let's get back into it!

Okay, so pretty much everybody knows and loves "Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison" but for my money this is the one. The band sounds better, there is a better intensity from the crowd and I think it's a more honest and direct recording than its more famous predecessor. If nothing else, including two versions of the song "San Quentin" right in a row earns this record extra points for sheer audacity. There are some standard hits, the required hymns, and probably the definitive version of "A Boy Named Sue" all here in their ragged, perfectly imperfect glory.

5 out of 5 Daves

No comments:

Post a Comment